Thursday, February 17, 2011

Book review: The Help

I know I've already posted on book review this week, but I have to post one more. I started reading the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett a couple of days ago. I just couldn't put that book down. It is amazing. Like really truely amazing. At the backcover of the book it says that this book is unputdownable, and this book invents that word, if it wasn't invented before. It is a heartbreaking, heartfelt and mindblowing.  I had to keep turning the pages to see what was happening next. The character's so real that they felt like my neighbours. I've read a quote once that says that you now that you've read a good book, when it feels like you've lost a friend after it's over. This book is like that. You wanna keep reading more and more, but as there are less and less unread pages, you wanna stop so you can keep some of the good stuff for tomorrow. Kind of like when you were a kid and got candy.

I've never been to Missisippi, and I sort of always wanted to go there. I grew up watching movies and tv series about The deep south and the KKK. I've never in my life been so afraid of anything as I've been of the KKK. I had nightmares forever after seeing Missippi burning. I can't image living in a society growing up where this wasn't a nightmare kinda phenomena, but a real one. That's why I think that books like this one is so important. We need to be reminded of how it was, and how it could go back if we forget about our collective past. 

I know I've recommended a lot of books in this blog, but with this one I really mean it :) Go read it for yourself, you won't regret it

Here's a link to the authors webpage http://www.kathrynstockett.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting